REMINDER -- you should send any inputs for Rooiels priorities to be included with Ward 10 into the new five-year IDP
You can access the current IDP on the Overstrand Municipal website. Link
The Process Plan for developing the new IDP and the draft priorities being submitted by RERA are available to download.
JOCOM (Kleinmond Police Joint Operations Committee) meeting on Monday, 12 September 2022.
Crime drastically increased in the area over the recent past. Although statistically, most incidences occurred in Kleinmond with much smaller percentages in the neighbouring villages, it is vitally important for all to be vigilant and proactive.
Crime syndicates are targeting the area, specifically focusing on housebreaking and fraud.
For the two-week period from 29 August to 11 September, Housebreaking has significantly increased with a focus on Kleinmond (11), and reported cases in Betty's Bay (2), Pringle Bay (2), and Rooiels (2).
The criminals are well informed w.r.t. the homes they target and currently mostly focus on homes that are lacking basic security measures. e.g. unlocked or broken doors, no or not-activated alarm systems etc.
Fraud is currently focused on fraudulent electronic transactions of large items e.g. vehicles and large household items where payment is made, proof of payment is confirmed only to be discovered the transaction is reversed or payment was never made. These are highly knowledgeable individuals.
SAPS, security agencies, and neighbourhood watch groups work together to prevent crime. However, it is each individual's primary responsibility to be vigilant and proactive by taking the necessary basic precautions.
Doors and windows
Keep doors locked and windows closed, especially when not present.
Valuables on display
Refrain from displaying valuables or have them visible through windows. This includes TVs, computers, and other valuables, especially at night when it is easily observed from the street.
Security gates and bars
Ensure security gates and bars are in working order and properly secured.
Alarm systems are meant to provide occupants with early warning, deter intruders, and alert armed response without occupants having to request a response.
Ensure that you have updated contact details for your armed response control centre and local support groups.
ASK Contol room
All incidents should immediately be reported to SAPS, your security agency, and your neighbourhood watch to initiate the required activities.
Your security agency and neighbourhood watch will communicate area and incident-specific information as and when necessary.
Winter is gurgling on and our fynbos is enjoying the rain after a relatively mild and dry June and July.
We hope that you have had a chance to read about the Ward Feedback meeting held on 30th July 2022 – if you haven’t, please see the post on the Ward Feedback blog.
The Overstrand Municipality media section have been active with several News Briefs most days. Please see them all on the Overstrand Municipality News page on their website.
We have also put a few of the news briefs we think would be especially relevant onto the OM Current Rooiels relevant documents blog on the Rooiels website so you can download them. Urgent, important briefs are put out on the Rooiels Communications WhatsApp but we try to avoid over-posting. A recent Brief advises that in the interests of biodiversity the OM will suspend Spring mowing of those roadside verges normally kept manicured and they ask for patience once the flower season is over before mowing recommences. There is also a reminder for pet owners to keep dogs on leash and there is a brief on regulations relating to short term holiday rentals. Please note that the Overstrand Municipality is currently engaged in the valuation of all residential properties. They have a vehicle with a street view camera. See the circular for contact details if they come to your property. The Minutes of the Ward 10 June meeting were received this month and have also been loaded there. The proposed rule changes for Ward Committees are also on the OM docs blog and we are requested to send in comments by 5th September – please send any comments to email@example.com.
The Ward Feedback Blog has the informal notes taken at the Ward Meeting held on 18th August – we will get the Minutes probably early October and will load them when received.
This is a reminder that we need to get our ideas for the new IDP together. One will be incorporating the Proclamation of the areas currently zoned green, as formally protected nature reserve. See the presentation made by Ian Lewis at the 30th July meeting.
Thanks to those that have sent through some ideas - some on the inclusion of the environment into the Strategic analysis of the Overstrand Muncipality. We have also had a few suggestions on budget items to be included.
Enjoy the coming spring!
RERA facilitates the support of the Rooiels Vision, promoting the adoption of policies and the implementation of services in ways that "Nurture Nature". RERA assists the Overstrand Municipality in a planning and coordinating role. RERA does not have authority to enforce. Within the guidelines of the Constitution, RERA acts as a conduit for ratepayers views and helps to ensure that municipal services are provided to the benefit of ratepayers in ways that are effective, efficient, accountable and in ways that reinforce the Rooiels Vision. RERA provides feedback to ratepayers and residents about matters and policies under consideration by the Overstrand Municipality and elicits input and a mandate where required.
Anuta Scholtz, the Rooiels Ward Representative attended the Ward Meeting. It was a combined Ward Meeting of both Wards 9 and 10. Here are her notes of that meeting
ROOIELS RATEPAYERS’ ASSOCIATION
REPORT-BACK ON THE MEETINGS OF THE WARD COMMITTEE FROM 1 JANUARY 2022 TO DATE
AS HELD AT THE PRINGLE BAY COMMUNITY HALL ON 30 JULY 2022.
1.1 RERA was elected to the Ward Committee(Wards 9 and 10), together with a number of other community organisations, during an election held in 2021.
Anuta Scholtz is the representative for RERA on the committee.
1.2 This report-back meeting by RERA to the RE ward is in accordance with a Municipal Council requirement (besides being a pleasure to do so). Invitations have been sent to the email addresses of property owners that are available to RERA (irrespective of whether they are members of RERA or not).
Owners, that have not received the email invitation, are invited to supply their email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org to facilitate communication.
2.1 About 28 persons attended the meeting in person or through Zoom, which was specially made available.
3. STRUCTURE OF THE MEETING
3.1 The meeting was for report-back and clarification purposes on the following number of important matters in which RERA is involved at present.
4. ROOIELS CONSERVATION OVERLAY ZONE (RECOZ)
4.1 The RECOZ, as approved by about 100 attendees at the Cascades Meeting in November 2019, and subsequently updated with the other OM overlay zones, has been published for comments on the RE website since August 2020.
4.2 The RECOZ was handed in to the OM early this year, for processing and eventual formal public participation. We are following up on the feed-back. We may have to ask the Ward Committee to help us to get the process with the OM going.
4.3 The highlights of the RECOZ, to conserve the rural character of RE, was presented with slides and Rooielsers are once more invited to make any comments.
5. EXPANSION OF THE ROOIELS NATURE RESERVE
5.1 The aim is to protect the green coastal belt around RE, the RE estuary and the RE riverine area in the RE kloof as a Protected Area in terms of the National Environmental Management Act: Protected Areas (NEMPA).
This will be in addition to the existing Rooiels Nature Reserve, which is already registered as a Protected Area in terms of NEMPA.
5.2 The current municipal zoning of the coastal belt as Open Space 1: Nature Reserve, with its numerous development consent zonings, is not considered sufficient to protect the area against unwanted development by the OM.
5.3 The broader perspective and relevance for the expansion of the RENR within the existing regulatory frameworks was explained.
5.4 The formal application process has been commenced with a unanimous approval by the 18 eighteen CapeNature and Western Cape Government attendees of the CapeNature Review Committee earlier this year, that the coastal belt of RE should be protected.
5.5 A proposed management agreement between the RE Conservancy, CapeNature and the OM has been submitted to the OM and CapeNature. Both organisations are being followed up.
5.6 The initial proposal document and the proposed management agreement are available for comment on the RE website. It is to be noted that the slipway will be excluded in the form of narrow co-ordinates that would prevent the commercial development of the slipway.
6. The proposal extends to the high water mark (which is outdated and will have to be re-determined), but it does not include a marine reserve. It includes the Koppie and Erf 1 in the RE riverine area.
6. HANGKLIP VILLAGES CONSERVATION OVERLAY ZONE (HCOZ)
6.1 The preservation of the rural character of RE by, amongst others, low ambient night-time lighting, is also encouraged in the RECOZ.
6.2 The Pringle Bay Ratepayers’ Association has handed in a proposal to the OM for a formal arrangement through an overlay zone. The proposal is supported by RERA and the Betty’s Bay Ratepayers’ Association. The process with the OM is being followed up.
6.3 The proposal is in three parts:
6.3.1 Co-operative, by obtaining the buy-in by Rooielsers to the RE Vison and RECOZ of a rural village with a dark sky to be enjoyed by all. To this purpose the concept is explained with reference to other parts of the world where the concept of different acceptable tolerable levels of lighting is being encouraged.
6.3.2 Prospective, by ensuring that the approval of building plans incorporate external lights to be pointed downwards to prevent spillage over boundaries and for sensor-operated security lights to be employed.
6.3.3 The intention is not to fine persons, but unfortunately provision had to be made for the odd-person-out who is insensitive concerning his lighting nuisance being imposed on neighbours.
6.4 The proposal is on the RE Website for any comments. An exception may have to be formulated for when a security situation arises.
7. INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT PLAN (IDP)
7.1 An IDP has been approved by the OM. The current IDP which should end in 2022 has been extended to 2023. The new IDP will cover the period 2023 to 2028. A public revision process will commence in August 2022.
7.2 Objections are in respect of the proposals in the IDP for low-cost housing in BB (Mooiuitsig) and RE (1,2 ha on Erf 324). RERA has already obtained the formal cancellation of the proposed subdivision of Erf 324 in the office of the Surveyor-General, with the noting of a caveat against the title deed in the Deeds Office.
7.3 RERA will encourage the OM to incorporate more specific budgets in the new IDP to address maintenance issues in Rooiels and Pringle Bay for amongst others, maintenance of roads and stormwater channels or appropriate grass swales (depressions) instead of conventional channels. On investment for the future Rooiels will be putting forward the formal protection of the nature zones in Rooiels see (5 above) and have called for further input from all ratepayers.
7.4 The submissions for the revision of the IDP, which commences in August 2022, are currently being prepared by RERA.
Rooielsers are invited to submit their comments and suggestions to RERA.
8. PROPOSED SIGNAGE
8.1 The OM is proposing certain standardised signage for the Hangklip Villages to encourage tourism.
8.2 Some of the views expressed from the floor are:
8.2.1 The low-keyness of RE and the natural ambiance is why we bought here and to retain its unique attraction as a village living closely with nature, it is not suitable for intensive development.
8.2.2 We do not want numerous bill boards to undermine the aesthetic appeal of the village.
8.3.3 Street names are important.
8.3. RE might not want “Welcome” and “Thank You“ signs. Need environmentally aware signs. Have information signs in a dedicated area, e.g. the business area .
9. GENERAL COMMENTS
The following comments from RERA are noted:
9.1 The process whereby the Conservancy will be able to comment on new building plans (as was the case for RE years ago) is being followed up.
9.2 The OM will be following up on people that are not registering their tourist accommodation businesses for the payment of higher rates.
9.3 The OM will only encourage development within the boundaries of RE, and not extend its boundaries.
9.4 Pro-actively contacting newcomers is an issue. RERA is trying to reach them through the estate agents and the existing information brochure and other steps. It would be useful if the OM could distribute relevant information about the area and the Overlay Protection zone or other special norms and regulations to all new purchasers. Rooiels is able to provide a brief for OM to use.
Be aware of predicted very high seas and an appeal please to ask for your ideas and input as we follow up after the Ward Feedback meeting
1. The Overstrand Municipality is providing a baboon information board that we are required to put up in the CBD - go to this LINK (https://rooiels.weebly.com/re-draft-educational-sign-board) to see the information.
Please give us your ideas on Where you think it should be placed. In addition, a number of Visitor information boards and posters have been suggested and we need your opinions and ideas on whether we should have them, what these should look like, what information we should have up, and where they should be. You can see some suggestions on the Link
2. RERA was asked to share a proposal for changes to the RERA constitution. This was shared with all RERA members by Mailchimp on 8 August and then shared with all Rooielsers on WhatsApp
It is not a RERA draft proposal and the RERA Exco will not be responding as a team but will provide their own personal feedback in their capacity as individual members. The proposers have asked for feedback by 24 August which they will use to inform their next draft. Please email your comments directly to the proposers at email@example.com.
You can see the RERAConstitution and also download the draft proposal and the rationale for the draft proposal on https://rooiels.weebly.com/rera-constitution.html.
3. We also remind you to please provide feedback on RECOZ which is available on the website which was presented again for new Rooielsers at the Ward Feedback meeting. See the concepts articulated- especially those related to retaining our biodiversity and road reserves, the limit on sussubdivision and second dwellings, and the need to have some local appointee to be responsible for any rentals. The structural and environmental clauses are taken from existing regulations in the HPOZ and the EMOZ. See details on the website (https://rooiels.weebly.com/rcoz-and-rehpoz.html)
4. Please send your ideas for the Integrated Development Plan 2023-2028 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooiels will need to send their suggestions to the Ward Committee in September, there will be a public input online survey by OM in Sept/October and public feedback meetings held from October. We have put the 2017-2022 on the Rooiels OM current documents blog for quick reference (https://rooiels.weebly.com/blog-current-om-docs)
This is a reminder of the Ward Feedback meeting to be held at Pringle Bay Community Hall on Saturday 30th July.
For those who are unable to come in person please Join the Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 978 0974 2960
The Agenda for the Meeting
10 a.m. arrival - tea and coffee
10.15 a.m the Zoom participation opens
10. 30 Meeting opens with Introductions
12.30 Meeting Closure
You can download the existing REHPOZ and proposed RECOZ and Lighting Overlays from the website. You can also see some information on signage in the Feedback blog below
We look forward to seeing you there - in person or on zoom
Overstand Municiipality is on a drive to install proper signage in each village (Betty's Bay; Pringle Bay; Rooiels and Kleinmond) to ensure tourists and visitors are educated about the area they visit.
At the OM meeting held in Kleinmond last week, OM requested:
1. an audit of hotspots where tourists go and the signage there.
2. A Unified look between all villages.
There was a strong consensus for a Cape Nature type style and colour for signs throughout the conservancy region covered by OM.
Submissions need to be made within a month so that the tourism season would be enhanced by prompt remediation.
It appears that budgets for these improvements would be added to the IDP.
Rooiels will be spelled as one word in the final version. Below that you can download the Files with kind of information that will be included -
Below you can download the kind of information to be included - and the proposed signs for the 4 villages in the KBR Transition zone
Please send any suggestions you may have to email@example.com, and, if viable, will be added to the report being sent to OM.
Three Themes are envisaged for the Educational Boards for Rooiels. The idea is to have some boards in the CBD and some at the Slipway.
Biodiversity & Conservation
The History of Rooiels & Fauna, marine & sea life
A separate poster on Baboon Education (similar to the one currently in Pringle Bay opposite Lemon & Lime, relating to baboons) will be a stand-alone.
Some feedback to be included in comments on the CCTV Policy - Please if any member has comments they would like to propose email firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is a policy, not a by-law or law, therefore not enforceable and thus confusing.
- The policy itself should be restructured to specifically address CCTV on OM, public and private properties. It is currently mixed and not definitive.
- It currently states all CCTV must be registered with OM, even private and OM should have access and do the monitoring – nobody agrees to this.
- Storage, retention and access to recorded material must be handled in a way in which it can be submitted as evidence in a court of law. Comment: A storage and access procedure must be defined with the policy (this is valid for any CCTV solution other than a private home where content is not shared)
- Limitation on the number of cameras per pole needs to be introduced.
- Limitation on the positioning of cameras must be introduced taking account of privacy considerations.
Dear fellow Rooielsers,
> RERA received an invitation from Theresa Els to send representation to
> the regular Kleinmond Police Joint Operations Committee (JOCOM) and
> will attend regularly.
> JOCOM meet fortnightly. The meeting is chaired by LT Colonel A May, Station Commander: SAPS Kleinmond; includes SAPS, DAFF, OM, ratepayers associations, neighbourhood watch, and security agencies. The agenda includes reflection on crime statistics for the area, security improvement initiatives and general security considerations.
> The investigative state and sensitive nature of some items prohibit
> the reporting thereof. In addition, the frequency or repetitiveness of
> some content will not necessarily be shared or discussed. Therefore
> future updates to Rooielsers will depend on the feedback received and
> may be included in other RERA feedback.
> Feedback from the meeting
> LT Colonel May extended SAPS’ appreciation to all agencies
> especially the neighbourhood watches for their tireless efforts and
> contributions to crime prevention. #CrimeMustFall
> The total crime reported from 1 to 13 July 2022 is down by 44% and
> property-related crime is down by 55% compared to the previous period.
> Month to date (19 July) a total of 67 cases were reported in the area,
> an average of only 3.52 per day. Almost all personal contact crimes
> occurred in specific streets in Proteadorp and Overhills and mostly
> occur over the weekend between midday Friday to Sunday night.
> The recently published news article related to crime in the area was
> raised, especially the incorrect perception it created of specific
> neighbourhoods in the area. It was reiterated that it is not the
> purview of this committee however a member of the committee confirmed
> that enquiries are underway to determine the source and timeframe of
> those statistics as well as an appropriate response w.r.t. its impact
> on the community and tourism.
> We were requested to impress the community to practice personal
> vigilance and basic security. Most reported ‘entry’ (not burglary)
> crimes were due to doors and windows being left open or unlocked with
> unobstructed access to items. This also applies to vehicles. Alarm
> systems aren’t armed or in working condition. Security and safety
> are a joint responsibility. All crimes must be reported to SAPS as
> they provide intelligence.
> We were reminded that arrests for abalone poaching can only be made if
> the alleged perpetrator is caught in possession of abalone.
> Nevertheless, the reporting of poaching activities has led to good
> intelligence and arrests – please continue to report suspected
> For a significant period, no crime has been recorded by offenders 18
> years and younger. This is an achievement for the area and an
> indication that the interventions and support structures are working.
> In closing, comments in reflection on the proposed CCTV policy were
> shared. The policy although not by-law or law, could have a
> significant impact on safety and security operations. Communities
> are encouraged to submit comments. Some notes on this are included on the Ward Feedback Blog
> Warm regards
> RERA Exco
These are the Feedback from the Ward Committee Meetings and other related matters. They are lodged in Date order going backwards.